CheshireDirectories.com 

 

AncestorTracers 

COUNTY HISTORY

CHESHIRE is on the  north-west side of England, communicating with the Irish Sea by the friths or mouths of the Dee and Mersey, which divides it from Lancashire, and by a small part of Yorkshire; on the east by Derbyshire (the small rivers of Etherew and Goyt forming the boundary) and south-east by Staffordshire: on the south by Shropshire; on the south-west by Denbighshire and on the west by Flintshire and the Irish Sea; and it is about 32 miles from north to south, and about 50 from east to west.

The history of Cheshire in the Iberian, Celtic and Belgian periods is almost a blank. The Romans occupied the county during many years; Chester, the ancient Deva was the station of the 20th Legion, and the countywas intersected by many Roman roads, the remains of which may still be traced in different places. After the downfall of the Romans, the Welsh held it until about 607, when it fell under the power of Ethelfrith, King of Bernicia; but it was recovered by the Welsh, who held much of it 'til it was again taken by Egbert in 828, and annexed to the kingdom of Mercia, since which it has always been held by the English. For several centuries it was the scene of frequent warfare with the Welsh. During the Parliamentary war Cheshire was hotly contested; but in February 1646, the Royalists were subdued.

William the Norman made it a county palatine for his nephew, Hugh Lupus, whose dynasty held it for two centuries; it has been since 1246 an appamage of the eldest sons of the king, who hold the Earldom of Chester, with the Principality of Wales and Duchy of Cornwall, giving a nominal suzerainty over the West of England.

Transcribed from Kellys Directory 1910